Re: Help poor performance with Oraperl for perl5 (DBI Oraperl)

From: Tim Bunce <Tim.Bunce_at_ig.co.uk>
Date: 1998/01/19

In article <69j1gn$oop$1_at_rdsunx.crd.ge.com>, Mark Kornfein <kornfein_at_.crd.ge.com> wrote:

> We have an application that we are developing using the Oraperl interface
> to DBI. (DBD-Oracle-0.47).
>
> After doing some timing tests we have found the queries have very poor
> perfromance. A query that takes 4-5 seconds to complete in sqlplus takes
> 50 seconds from perl. We have similiar ratios for other queries. The time is
> being spent in the fetch loop (not login or open).
>
> Also the query we are using is very simple "select x from table where y =2;"
> it does not contain a join and returns about 600 records 1 field each.

I don't recall anyone reporting such performance problems for fetches before. Thousands of users on many platforms have no such problems.

> We have been told by folks who use Oraperl for perl 4, that we need to
> increase the cache size, but this is evidently not an option in DBI.

DBD::Oracle 0.47 has a (very effective) row cache. Use $h->trace(2) to see it in operation.

Tim. Received on Mon Jan 19 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message