Re: Getting 'Insufficient Privileges' error. Why?

From: Brad Murray <BradMurray_at_SeeSignatureIfThere.com>
Date: 1998/01/13

In article <01bd2041$da57eb80$8dbbcdcf_at_AGDEV001.AGDEV>, jjames_at_crystalconsulting.com said...

> Brad Murray <BradMurray_at_SeeSignatureIfThere.com> wrote in article
> <MPG.f254af1bd183e669898ca_at_news>...
> > In article <01bd1fbd$91d6dee0$65bbcdcf_at_AGDEV001.AGDEV>,
> > jjames_at_crystalconsulting.com said...
> > If you are not having this problem over an ODBC connection
> > then you may actually not have the admin option set on the grants to the
> > account you are trying to grant from.
>
> Thanks for the feedback Brad. I had thought that the admin option was used
> to allow the user 'providing' the privilege to another to also enable the
> receiver of the privilege to then ''pass' that privilege onto others. You
> seem to be implying that you need the admin option in order to just
> 'provide' the privilege to others (vs. just yourself?) Is that true?
> Besides that, I did find a way to deal with my problem. I created another
> user to which I assigned a DBA role, (I don't think it had an admin
> option), then used that user to assign table privileges to the 'medical'
> user. It worked OK!

When you grant a privilege you must add "With Admin Option" to the end of the statement if you want the granted user or role to be able to grant the same privilege to another user/role in the future. What sounded confusing before was that you were saying that you were using the system user which should have grant all privileges set.

 Bradley S. Murray       Princeton Computer Consulting  (609) 730-9100
 BradMurray(-at-)usa.net   Pennington, NJ 08534-3612     Fax: 730-0761
                            http://pcci.home.ml.org