Re: Getting 'Insufficient Privileges' error. Why?

From: Brad Murray <BradMurray_at_SeeSignatureIfThere.com>
Date: 1998/01/13

In article <01bd1fbd$91d6dee0$65bbcdcf_at_AGDEV001.AGDEV>, jjames_at_crystalconsulting.com said...
> Hello out there! (I can almost hear the echo... :). I'm having difficulty
> in using the 'system' user to assign insert, update, etc. privileges on the
> tables I have created. The 'system' user does have the privileges provided
> automatically, including the privilege of being able to perform grants for
> privileges and roles. However, I get the ORA-01031 Insufficient Privileges
> error when attempting to grant insert, update, etc privileges on any of the
> tables. Any clues???? I have tried looking at the help for this error
> message and it doesn't seem to apply to my situation. Thanks for any help!

I have seen this problem when going over an ODBC connection while I can do all my my grants fine with the same statement on the same account right from SQL worksheet. AFAIK it is a limitation of the ODBC driver (InterSolv in my case). If you are not having this problem over an ODBC connection then you may actually not have the admin option set on the grants to the account you are trying to grant from.

 Bradley S. Murray       Princeton Computer Consulting  (609) 730-9100
 BradMurray(-at-)usa.net   Pennington, NJ 08534-3612     Fax: 730-0761
                            http://pcci.home.ml.org