Re: ?? Looking for critical comparison of major DBMS's ??

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_p3.net>
Date: 1998/01/12

Dylan,

As you have discovered most of what you see consists of pure hype and/or pure biased opinion. Your best bet is to try to get your hands on TPC benchmark results. Although mamy feel that they leave a lot to be desired the TPC benchmarks are "the only game in town".

Of course no benchmark series will reveal anything about the product other than the potential that can be reached if you have an unlimited budget for hardware and unrestricted access to the services of a developer you probably can't afford to hire.

The realities of day-to-day performance will remain a mystery, as will the ease or difficulty of caring for the RDBMS, and being able to determine whether or not it is robust enough to trust for your mission critical applications or too frail to survive given in intense application.

The only inexpensive solution I can think of is to go out and interview a few users of each of the products.

Good luck in your quest

Jerry