Re: ?? Looking for critical comparison of major DBMS's ??

From: Michael Segel <Mikey_at_NOSPAM.KingofMyDomain.MAPSON.Segel.com>
Date: 1998/01/14

Jerry Gitomer wrote:

> Dylan,
>
> As you have discovered most of what you see consists of pure hype
> and/or pure biased opinion. Your best bet is to try to get your
> hands on TPC benchmark results. Although mamy feel that they
> leave a lot to be desired the TPC benchmarks are "the only game
> in town".

Theres an old saying:
"There are lies,
  Damn lies,
 And Benchmarks"

What Jerry said was true.
However, even with TPC benchmarks, products on the same hardware use different configurations.
What you need to do is create your own benchmark test. And even then vendors try to cheat.

Take it all with a grain of salt. But when dealing with RDBMS sales reps, I'd recommend a pound or
two.

Depending on your application, most likely all three are a good choice. Your milage will vary though.
What you need to do is to see what your competitors are doing, and why. Then play the three off one another to get the best deal.

-Just a tip from your Uncle Mikey! Received on Wed Jan 14 1998 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message