Message Queueing

From: <iwmackay_at_wincom.net>
Date: 1997/12/12

I'm looking for a tool, or at least an idea, of how to perform message queueing across a WAN. Basically what I am trying to do is set up a multiple-database system in which there is a master list (say for eg a supplier list), and several clients (each having their own supplier list). If any of the clients add new suppliers to their local lists, they also have to somehow get added to the master (but not necessarily to all the other clients...if certain suppliers are irrelevant to that client, he doesn't need to see it).

Also, if a client was to do a search for a supplier, it would look in the local database first and if not found, then the master database, at which time the supplier might be added to the local DB.

This problem could be fairly easily solved if we were planning on maintaining a direct connection to the master database. Unfortunately, we're not. The idea is that if the master server goes down, the 'client' servers can still operate. However, their transactions must still be exported to some kind of queue so that when the master server comes back up, it can pick up the slack.

I guess I should also mention that the databases will be in Oracle (at least some of them) and the client interfaces will be in Progress.

I'm really not sure where to being looking so any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Please email your responses.

Thanks in advance!

Ian