Re: Informix vs. Sybase vs. Oracle vs. (gasp) MS SQL Server

From: Anthony Mandic <no_sp.am_at_agd.nsw.gov.au>
Date: 1997/12/05

Joe Lumbley wrote:

> God, I wish I knew as much as you. I'm still at the neophyte stage of having
> to actually look at the code before I can analyze it.

	So a priori concepts are alien to you? Or do you think they can't
	possibly work? In which case there must be a lot of scientists
	out there using the scientific method who haven't realised it doesn't
	really work. Well, we'd better let them know soon so they can save
	time and anguise. So quick, you stop the presses while I cable
	Albert Einstein and tell him his theories aren't valid because
	he didn't create the universe, so he can't possibly know how it
	works.

> : And I suppose you also think that a tradesman can recognise the quality
> : of another tradesman's work? Or do you subscribe to Chuck Yourdan's
> : belief that software should be shipped with bugs?
>
> Again, you've got me dead to rights on this last point. I don't even know
> who Chuck Yourdon is. It must be great to know everything. The only Yourdon
> I know is Ed Yourdon. I only know of him because he a fellow internationally-
> known author and expert in his field and because we share the same publisher.
	If he's the one responsible for the magazine 'American Programmer'
	then that would be him. Must have confused him with Chuck Yeager
	for some obscure reason. Can't say I think he's so internationally
	known or as expert in his field as your Ed Yourdan. Never heard of
	him prior to 93 or after. I'd received junk mail that year after
	attending a trade show. It invited me to subscribe to this so called
	journal. It elected to show how good the magazine was by including
	an extract of the above mentioned person's article regarding the
	shipping of software with bugs. Needless to say, I filed that mail
	in the appropriate place and spent my money elsewhere. Of course,
	I must have gotten the causality of this incident wrong since the
	scientific method can't possibly work.

> Tell me, what exactly do you do for the Attorney General of NSW? Does anybody
> but you know about your brilliance?

	Ah, an ad hominem attack. Interesting. Now you seem to be
	equating brilliance with competence. Judging by comments in
	your previous post, would this be because its a sore point
	with you? Possibly because someone once questioned your own
	competence? Or could your previous remark about ivory towers
	imply a lack of adequate qualifications on your part, possibly
	coupled with the questioning of your skills and abilities? I
	wonder. Of course, I'll never know, because I'm not you and
	can't possibly determine the way you think using pschological
	reasoning since the scientific method doesn't work. So, about
	the only thing I can do is state that Oscar Wilde's remark
	about teachers could be paraphrased to apply equally well to
	authors.

-am Received on Fri Dec 05 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message