Re: Informix vs. Sybase vs. Oracle vs. (gasp) MS SQL Server

From: Anthony Mandic <no_sp.am_at_agd.nsw.gov.au>
Date: 1997/12/04

Joe Lumbley wrote:

> Anthony Mandic (no_sp.am_at_agd.nsw.gov.au) wrote:
>
> : I go into a store and make an electronic purchase. Being
> : a programmer I also know what else they do (recording my
> : personal details for stats tracking and mail lists etc.).
> : If I know this, why don't you?
>
> Maybe because I know the difference between "assuming" and "knowing". You think
> you know what's going on under the covers just because you can see the
> color of the bedspread? "Being a programmer I also know...." What hubris.

	Now would that be because I've once worked on POS systems, I've
	had friends who've worked on POS systems and told me their problems,
	I've had friends who've worked on ATM systems and I can recollect their
	annecdotes, I've read articles describing issues and problems with said
	systems, I've read/done audit reports of said systems or because I've
	read the apocryphal reports in newspapers and put two and two together?

> This thread seems to be pointing out the difference between grizzened veterans
> who've seen the real world and admit that it's not perfect and the bright-eyed,
> ivory tower types who can take one look at a complicated system, apply their
> favorite religion/demagoguery to it, and instantaneously come up with the one
> and only right answer.

	And I suppose you also think that a tradesman can recognise the quality
	of another tradesman's work? Or do you subscribe to Chuck Yourdan's
	belief that software should be shipped with bugs?

-am Received on Thu Dec 04 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message