Re: oracle/ms sqlserver replicating

From: <danb_at_gncom.com>
Date: 1997/06/04

In article <3394B329.68BCD8B6_at_epsilon.com>,   Tim Smith <tsmith_at_epsilon.com> wrote:

> What is the best way to move data back and forth between oracle and sql
> server? I have an environment where the database update process runs on
> a unix machine in oracle and the users want to do reporting/updating the
> same database on an NT platform that already has sql server on it?

I dunno about the best way but two possibilities spring to mind:

First is exporting the data to a text based file and reading it into SQL Server via BCP. This may be pretty fast but requires some method of making the text file available to BCP on Windows NT.

Second is to use an application development language such as Visual Basic and connect to both databases using ODBC. Then open a resultset on the Oracle database, then loop through it one at a time and INSERT these into the corresponding SQL Server database. This might be slower than the first method but will have the advantage of being relatively automated.

Cheers,
Dan