Re: Informix vs. Sybase vs. Oracle vs. (gasp) MS SQL Server

From: Larry Stephenson <larrst_at_digital.net>
Date: 1997/04/15

Igor Chudov _at_ home wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been asked to do a comparison of captioned database engines,
> to choose a database server for a medium size database (less than 2GB,
> about 60-100 tables).
>
> I would appreciate both pointers to professionally done comparisons, as
> well as your personal opinions on performance and reliabiilty of these
> systems.
>
> There is a special emphasis made on reliability, so your accounts of
> problems and crashes will be much appreciated. Oh yes, the hardware
> will likely be Sun or IBM RS6000.
>
> Thank you.
>
> igor

Although I'm unable to comment on the database engines you mentioned, I think you should strongly consider PROGRESS. The db is very stable and language (Version 7.3 or 8) is incredibly rich.

Our company has been using PROGRESS for 5 years now on a RS/6000 model 58H (32 users) and have never had a single problem.

PROGRESS offers a development environment for both character and GUI applications.

Its wonderful. Received on Tue Apr 15 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message