Re: Informix vs. Sybase vs. Oracle vs. (gasp) MS SQL Server

From: Billy Wheeler <billy_at_west.co.za>
Date: 1997/04/12

On 11 Apr 97 at 20:27, Igor Chudov _at_ home wrote:

> I have been asked to do a comparison of captioned database engines,
> to choose a database server for a medium size database (less than 2GB,
> about 60-100 tables).

Any one of them will do it.

> I would appreciate both pointers to professionally done comparisons, as
> well as your personal opinions on performance and reliabiilty of these
> systems.

Professional? From *me*? :-)

> There is a special emphasis made on reliability, so your accounts of
> problems and crashes will be much appreciated. Oh yes, the hardware
> will likely be Sun or IBM RS6000.

Well, that cuts out SQL Server doesn't it? My personal advice would be Informix on RS/6000 - it's been a platform that has always worked exceptionally well for me.

I wouldn't be posting on comp.databases.informix if I wasn't an Informix fan, so that covers my database choice... :-)

--
Ciao,
Billy

Nose to the ground and ear to the grindstone in: Johannesburg

I believe they're now paying huge sums for sperm donations.
Hell, if I think of the money I've let slip through my fingers...