Re: Oracle Objects for OLE 2.0 or 2.1

From: Mark Wagoner <mwagoner_at_iac.net>
Date: 1997/04/15

cda.apa_at_email.apa.org wrote:

>I downloaded Oracle Objects for OLE 2.0 from Oracle and the readme.wri
>file stated that the .OCX is not available for Visual Basic 4. The .VBX
>works only with Visual Basic 3.

>I am interested in using the latest version of Oracle Objects with VB4
>Professional Edition so that we can use Data Access Objects (DAO) to
>connect directly to the Oracle database without using Oracle Glue, which
>we are currently using,or without using ODBC drivers that are slow because
>of the connection to the Jet Engine 2.5.

>I understand that Oracle has a newer version of Oracle Objects
>possibly (2.1) which is now release that includes the .OCX control for
>VB4.

>Can we use the Oracle Objects without using the Data Control like the Data
>Access Objects (DAO) in VB4. Must we have the .OCX data control before we
>can do anything.

>I would appreciate any assistance on working with VB4 and Oracle Objects
>2.0 or 2.1.

>Thank you.

>Deetra A. Whatley
>x5851

We have been using OO4O 2.0.7 (16 and 32 bit) for about 8 months and have found it much better than ODBC, DAO or RDO. This version does not have an OCX, so you must declare everything as object and code the mothods and properties manually (nothing shows up in the object browser). Still, I highly recommend it if you do not need database independance.

--
Mark Wagoner
mwagoner_at_iac.net