Oracle DateTime format bug

From: Jason <jsw_at_tpg.tpg.oz.au>
Date: 1997/03/21

Hi,

I am running Oracle on a DEC AlphaStation 200, and I occasionally have an intermittant error when I query datetime fields. It appears like the NLS_DATE_FORMAT environment setting is being ignored temporarily, as the date outputs change from the desired format to some other format WITHIN THE SAME QUERY!!

Observe: a query like "select STO_DATE from TABLE1" returns

STO_DATE

01/02/1996 00:00:00
01/02/1996 00:00:00
01/02/1996 00:00:00
01-FEB-96
01-FEB-96
01-FEB-96

01-FEB-96
01-FEB-96
01/02/1996 00:00:00
01/02/1996 00:00:00
01/02/1996 00:00:00

(this has been reduced in length, but the problem appears and disappears within the one query, or stays on at the end of one query and in the beginning of the next one)

This bug occurs when sqlplus is run on the DEC host where Oracle resides, or when our application (using ProC queries) is run on the DEC host. Running another sqlplus session while this bug is consistently on has been known to correct it.

If you have seen this error occur before, please email me. If you know what the error is, please email me. If you know how to fix the error, PLEASE EMAIL ME!!

Jason Williams (jsw_at_tpg.tpg.oz.au) Received on Fri Mar 21 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message