Administration Help !!!

From: Darrell Brown <nexgenco_at_mts.net>
Date: 1997/03/19

I work for a telecomunications company. My group maintains an information warehouse on a DEC VAX platform that runs Oracle databases. We are "upgrading" to a quad-processor IBM Intel based platform, running Windows NT Server 4.0 and Oracle 7.3. We have no experience in this enviornment. The Oracle work will not change, but we are concerned about the system administration. We have need some advice on a few issues. 1)Connection Tools: In the VAX world, our group was able to do concurrent database developement using terminal sessions. The NT platform will allow easy access for database developement in sqlplus, but we also need a tool that will allow multiple connections to allow us to use SqlLoad. To date the only option put foreward by anyone is using PC-Anywhere. We don't find this acceptable because it only allows one connection to the server at a time.
2)Scheduling Tools: We need the ability to schedule Oracle and other jobs so that data loading and file maintenance can take place at off peak hours.
3)NT Batch Programming: In the VAX world we were able to write batch programs in DCL, allowing us the ability to string many SQL scripts together, do file checking etc. We are considering C but would prefer a simple batch language.
4)File Sort tools: A lot of our data loads rely on the data being in a specific order before we load it into our tables. We need a utility that would allow the sorting of data files by position values within the file.

If anyone can shed some light, suggest some products or point me to a likely information source, fire away.

Darrell
nexgenco_at_mts.net Received on Wed Mar 19 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message