Re: Help for newbie - performance

From: Michael Serbanescu <mserban_at_postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
Date: 1997/03/19

If you are not using version 7.3, you are out of luck as far as recreating indexes without dropping them first. V7.3 allows you to "rebuild" an index to change its storage parameters using the

ALTER INDEX <index_name> REBUILD [UNRECOVERABLE]... command.

The index is rebuilt very quickly (more so if you use the UNRECOVERABLE clause) using the data from the existing index.

I hope this helps.

Michael Serbanescu
Senior Consultant, MIACO Corporation