Re: Oracle 8 *Top 10 wishlist*

From: Atif Ahmad Khan <aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu>
Date: 1997/03/03

Stephane Lajeunesse <slajeunesse_at_sympatico.ca> writes:

>Yes.. We all want it!

>FWIW, I talked to somebody at Oracle about a Linux release of Oracle
>Workgroup server. Is reply to me was that they were afraid of the fact
>that Linux is a 'moving target'. What scares them is the fact that the
>Unix admin can recompile a new kernel when the newest version is
>released thus possibly breaking the Oracle server itself. This for them
>is not what they want. They want something more stable (kernel version,
>library version). On the other hand, isn't this what Caldera is doing?
>Giving anybody who whishes to develop for Linux commercially a 'stable'
>non-moving platform???

Yes. Only if Oracle people could understand it. If they released an Oracle workgroup server for Linux 2.0, kernel 2.22 and told me that this is the only supported configuration, I'll happily live with it !

I have brought this point up before as well, but apparently they dont understand it. Solaris gets major patches like every few weeks. Why isn't Oracle afraid that these would break their software ? Similary NT patches have updated my kernel twice since I moved to 4.0.

This is a very lame excuse. Anybody with half a brain would know that this argument does not hold any water.

Atif Khan
aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu Received on Mon Mar 03 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message