Problem installing Oracle trial product on SCO Free OpenServer

From: Art D'Adamo <dadamo_at_voicenet.com>
Date: 1997/02/22

[ Problem installing Oracle trial product on SCO Free OpenServer ]

I'm having a problem installing the Oracle trial product on a SCO Free OpenServer machine, and would appreciate any help.

The problem is that the make of Oracle executables fails with "multiply defined symbols"

The problem is documented in Oracle's problem document 1014573.6, which is also available at
  htpp://www.oracle.com/support/bulletins/wgs/sco/html/10145736.html

The document offers two solutions.

Solution 1 is to rename libsocket.a as libsocket.a.OWS and then "proceed with the regular installation". I did the rename and then did

        make -f oracle.mk install
in /usr/oracle7/rdbms/lib but still got "multiply defined symbols"
errors.

Solution 2 is to apply the Oracle everest_patch, which fixes an oracle script called gensyslib.

I can't find the patch anywhere on Oracle's web site and suspect it's only available to people with Oracle support contracts. It this correct?

The 10145736.html document says the everest patch is available on the Oracle patch machine

   tcpatch: /u01/patch/IX86/everest_patch

Does anyone know where this machine is, and if the patch would be available to people without Oracle support contracts?

Or does anyone know how to fix gensyslib (or get an updated copy of it) so that the install will succeed?

Any advice appreciated. Please email to

        dadamo_at_voicenet.com

Thanks.

Art D'Adamo, dadamo_at_voicenet.com Received on Sat Feb 22 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message