Re: Informix vs Oracle, alleged trade secret theft

From: Laurie Kirsh <lkirsh_at_itsc.org>
Date: 1997/02/05

I agree with Christian and netac. Does protecting a product go so far as to restricting it's creator from ever using any related knowledge ever again? Is the employee supposed to supress himself for the good of a company that will not reward him for a job well done? If so, then what type of solution or compensation for the employee? I understand that the company loses a lot of value in their product if their competitors now have the same solution but then the only one who walks away satisfied is the company. Left there, with no options, is the employee. This employee can either pick a different career or stay where he is (which is possibly an endangerment to his career). If the company wins, can the employee sue that company for the value of debilitating him from ever getting a job with anyone else? Does anyone see the viscious cycle this creates? The truth is that everyone is somewhat in the right and somewhat in the wrong (that's why this is such a debatable topic). The solution needs to include a comprimise for both the employee and the company he works for.

--

Disclaimer:  Laurie Kirsh's views do not necessarily reflect the
views of Lockheed Martin...

| Laurie J. Kirsh | Integration Systems Analyst |
| lkirsh_at_itsc.org | Lockheed Martin |
| http://www.itsc.state.md.us/~lkirsh | College Park, Maryland |