Update LONG Bug + 7.3.2 Server => REPORTS 1.x K.O. (2nd Attempt of POST)

From: (wrong string) ão Lima Pinto <amqm_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: 1997/01/24

It seems that Oracle 7.3.2 SERVER (Rdbms) have a problem affecting LONG columns. When inserting a new row into ( or updating an existing row in ) a table containning a LONG column you get an error.

My Boss said to me to install an Oracle 7.3.2 in a new machine ( HP-9000(?) HP-UX 10.1? ). I did it, but because it didn't came with FORMS30, MENU50 an REPORTS1.1.10.x/1.1.14.x, I got(install) it from an 7.2.2)

I had severel problems to solve: Portuguese charset, get applications from the old machine, etc and at the end all seemed ok ( all make me believe tha they are solved ).

Next day I recieved an call!. They couldn't update the queries in SQL*REPORT 1.x. The error was:
ORA-02014: cannot select FOR UPDATE from a view with DISTINCT, GROUP BY, etc.
This happen all times evem if you only have "select * from test_table"

So, I had tried to relink executables, drop srw tables, rebuild srw tables, etc.
Then I had remember to create a form for this table:

        create table test_1(a number, b long);

I had done it because the query is stored in SRW_QUERY ( SRW__QUERY, depend how you install srw tables and users ) in a LONG column.

After generate and execute the form I find that we can insert an select from test_1 table but if we tried an update we receive a "ORA-40501 error: unable to reserve record for update or delete", in any situation.

Then I tried insert/update with (Developer) SQLPLUS and it worked. Next was FORSM4.5 and I got error only if I tried to update a newly inserted record.

If REPORTS 1.x tries to lock the record by using SELECT ... FOR UPDATE, them it might be possible that is because this "ORACLE known problem" that reports isn't working. Well "some" people had said to "ask your boss who told him to install REPORTS 1.x in a 7.3.2" or to wait for an version of Oracle7 higher than 7.3.2 or for a patch for bug# 348967.

I would like to know if someone else have extra information/solutions or managed to install REPORTS 1.x in a 7.3.2 Oracle base. Received on Fri Jan 24 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message