Re: [Q] How can I add dbshut in shutdown process under AIX?

From: Leonard Salika <lsalika_at_csc.com>
Date: 1996/12/18

Loren Cain (loren_at_usair.com) wrote:
: Paul Reimold wrote:
: >
: > Loren Cain wrote:
: > >
: > > Chris Thomas wrote:
: > > >
: > > > In article <32AC26AE.41C6_at_genacc-us.com>, Paul Reimold
: > >
: > > Why not put the local modifications in /etc/rc.shutdown? If this script
: > > exists, it is executed at the beginning of the shutdown process and
: > > if it fails with a non-zero return code, the shutdown process stops.
: > > See man shutdown.
: >
: > Great idea. I would rather not directly edit the shutdown script.
: > HOWEVER, I do not see an /etc/rc.shutdown file on either my 3.2.5 or my
: > 4.1.4 systems. It's a shame that AIX does not have a scheme for rc
: > directories corresponding to various init levels where one can place
: > startup and shutdown scripts (similar to Systems V..
: >
: Yeah, I sort of jumped the gun on that response...I have been spending
: most of my time lately with AIX 4.2, which does have the rc.shutdown
: feature. However, someone pointed out to me that earlier versions
: do not support rc.shutdown and sure enough, I see no mention of it
: on my 4.1.4 or 3.2.5 systems.

: Loren Cain
: loren_at_usair.com

AIX V3.2 and AIX V4.1 /etc/shutdown's test for the existance of an "/etc/netware.clean" script and execute it if they find it. This happens at an appropriate point on the processing for an Oracle dbshut. I don't have whatever product causes an /etc/netware.clean file to be loaded, so it's always been missing on my systems. I just created one [and put a backup somewhere safe just in case ...] with my database and local processes shutdown stuff, set execute permission, and let /etc/shutdown do its thing without any local modifications. Received on Wed Dec 18 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message