Re: Physical Moves and database links

From: Bill Manry <BManry_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/12/05

Donald Humberson <dhumberson_at_delphi.com> wrote:
>Does anyone know specific problems re-establishing database links in 7.1.6
>after physically moving an instance to a different machine?

I assume your problem is with dblinks that target the moved instance (as opposed to dblinks defined within the moved instance).

If your dblink uses a (SQL*Net V2) service name and the entry for that name in the tnsnames.ora file of the dblink-owning instance has been updated with the new address data (e.g. hostname), the dblink should work without modification.

If the dblink uses SQL*Net V1 or explicit SQL*Net V2 addressing (i.e. not a service name), the dblink must be dropped and recreated with a new USING clause that reflects the new address of the target instance. For example, if your dblink uses Net V1 TCP/IP and was created with

  ... USING 'T:oldhost:DB1'

and you have moved instance DB1 to host "newhost", drop the dblink and recreate with

  ... USING 'T:newhost:DB1'

If your dblink is not working and you think you've covered the above requirements, you might want to try your connect string directly with something like SQL*Plus. Connectivity problems usually are easier to work out with direct client-server connections rather than dblinks.

/b

--
Bill Manry - Mainframe & Integration Technologies - Oracle Corp. USA
The above statements and opinions are my own and do not