Re: Q: Raw device or UNIX filesystem... ?

From: Peter Wales <paw_at_bulmer.com>
Date: 1996/12/03

danber_at_echo-on.net wrote:

> Which is better from all angles, e.g., performance, data integrity,
> recovery, maintenance, etc.?
>
> Any recommendation shall be highly appreciated. Thanks.
> http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Post to UsenetPerformance:
Raw is often quoted as being better, but if you know a lot about tuning filesystems, and unix cache buffers you can make the performance the same.
Data Integrity:
Doesn't really make a difference, except you can use standard unix tools like tar, cpio to backup file systems. You only get logical disk copy (if available) and oracle backup for raw. Recovery:
Doesn't really make any difference, for good recovery make sure you run in ARCHIVELOGMODE with automatic archiving and keep you log files for more than 2 dumo cycles (i.e. 2 -3 days if you dump once a day). Maintenance:
I like file systems. this is a bit woolly but "You can see them more easily"

| Peter Wales                                                   |
| IT Operational Services                                       |
| HP Bulmer Ltd            "The Worlds Largest Cider Maker"     |
| MailTo:PAW_at_bulmer.com          http://www.bulmer.com          |