Re: Real time database access from Web

From: Marcus Frood <mfrood_at_deakin.edu.au>
Date: 1996/12/03

On Sun, 01 Dec 1996 15:19:40 -0700, Karen Roner <karen_at_skylink.net> wrote:

> Better to stick with the cgi standard....
>> We have found CGI to be extremely slow at accessing large volumes of
>information on our site. We have implemented a product called Cold Fusion
>from Allaire.com It accesses any ODBC database, allows for form input,
>modification and extremely fast output. Currently www.propertyline.com is
>utilizing access 7.0 relational data structures to distribute large
>amounts of commercial real estate info to it's subscribers. Cold Fusion
>1.o is effiicient using CGI calls, however Cold Fusion 2.0 utilizes
>API's and it is extraordinary. The previous webmaster Jim Petrosino, put
>all of its current technology in place and was one of the controlled beta
>testers for Cold Fusion. If you are looking at implementing large
>structures into your website, I highly recommend this product.
>
>Karen Roner
>ISM for Property Line
>karen_at_skylink.net
>www.propertyline.com/empkaren.htm

Another possibility is to look at something like the Apache Web server with PHP/FI plug-in and the database of your choice.

This works just like the cgi version, but the "language interpretation" is actually run as part of the Apache server task. Outperforms cgi easily.

While I have not looked *really* closely at Cold Fusion, it appears that PHP/FI and something like Postgres or msql will do much the same thing.

Jon Hilton Received on Tue Dec 03 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message