Re: RMS Gateway Question

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1996/12/02

In article <rao.151.001A9B85_at_interaccess.com> rao_at_interaccess.com (Rao) writes:

>>G'day

>>We have a database system written in Fortran 77 based on VAX/VMS RMS
>>files. We want to develop an EIS and adhoc query system over the top,
>>but don't want to go to the extent of porting the RMS files to a
>>relational database.

>>Does anyone have any experience/feelings with the gateway solution
>>provided by Oracle for this requirement ?

>>Are there any better solutions ?

>>Thanks for your help,

>>Mike
>
>There is another company some where in Seatle, US providing ODBC access to RMS
>files. If you have access to VAX/Software listings, you can find out very
>easily.
>
>About performance, it depends on how often you are reading those files. Also
>depends on the EIS, types of joins.
>
>If feasible and OK, use daily imports to database from RMS files.
>Croos joins are problematic if you are using RMS and other databases
>such as RDB or Oracle.

I never saw the original post. Sounds like Gembase is appropriate, it can do queries and editing of RMS files. Email gembase_sales_at_rossinc.com for more information.

--
Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>