Re: [Q] How much temporary space is needed to run ANALYZE command?

From: Dana Stockler <stockler_at_ingdata.no>
Date: 1996/11/27

Kevin Loney wrote:

> On average, a COMPUTE STATISTICS takes temporary space about four times

Four times!?!? No wonder I had problems.

> the size of the table. so if the table is 100M, you'll need a 400M
> temporary segment available - so your tablespace defaults will need
> to be something like initial 4M next 4M pctincrease 0, with a maxextents
> of at least 100.

I set up my temporary tablespace to use 1M initial and next extents and thought maybe I was being a bit extreme. Guess not. Anyone care to comment
on the pros and cons of such large extents?

> You can minimize the temp space requirements by using estimate statistics,
> but it's not reliable imho. I have a friend who was having lots of problems
> with her system - wrong plans chosen by the CBO, etc. Her table is over
> 300 million records in size. She runs a compute statistics - using a 45G
> temp tablespace - and the problems disappear. Use Compute statistics until
> you run out of disk space to waste on Temp.

Dana Stockler

Home: Solstadlia 10, 1364 Hvalstad, Norway ((+47)66789741) Work: IngeniørData as, Strøket 9, 1370 Asker, Norway Email: stockler_at_ingdata.no