Re: Oracle Security

From: Miles Thomas <See_sig_for__at_ddress.com>
Date: 1996/11/26

In article <57cheq$kqh_at_ralph.vnet.net>,

   jdwhite_at_lys.vnet.net (John D. White) wrote:

With SQL*Net 1, no encryption done. (Another good reason to move the SQL*Net 2)

As far as I can remember (no docs handy to check) When you set up SQL*Net 2, you can have all the passwords passed in the clear (the default option, as usual!), or you can set things up so that the authentication info is encrypted. Use the network manager tool to set up the files accordingly. Other data is not encrypted with this option.

For real security, Oracle make a extra networking add-on called something like Secure Network Services, which is SQL*Net plus encryption of all data over the link using something like MD4 or DES.

Hope that helps.

Miles

>Shirley D. Willingham (sad_at_interpath.com) wrote:
>: Does anyone know for sure it the Operator name or password is encrypted
>: when you are signing on at the time of transmission. The file I think is
>: encrypted but I would like to know if the transmission is also encrypted.
>: I cannot seem to get an answer from Oracle manuals or from their
>: documentation. Would like to have an answer.
>In a word no
>TCP/IP is not secure but... named pipes will provide more security.
>Hope this helps
>Good Luck!

Miles Thomas
Logica UK Ltd
thomasm_at_logica.com
The above are personal opinions, and are not necessarily the opinions of my employer. Received on Tue Nov 26 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message