Re: DATABASE IDENTIFICATION

From: Lun Wing San (Oracle) <"Lun>
Date: 1996/11/26

Tobias Svennebring wrote:
> I wonder if someone could tell me special signs that makes it possible to
> decide
> * what kind of database that is running on a certain server,

  If the database is Oracle, in most of the cases, there is an user called oracle and there is a group called dba in most of the cases. I claim that it is most of cases because they can rename them. Anyway, it leads to a relink procedure.

  If the server is personl oracle7, you can detect it from the GUI interface.

> * if there is an database there at all

  There are at least four processes named *dbwr*, *lgwr*, *pmon*, *smon* when the databases are up. * is the wildcard because the naming convention is operating system dependent.

> * and what version it is?

  You can check the version for Oracle by using select * from production_component_version. Alternatively, you can check it from the banner of SQL*Pls.

---
Name   : Lun Wing San
Title  : Oracle Application Developer of Hong Kong Productivity Council
         Oracle Database Administrator and System Administrator of QRC
Phone  : (852)27885841