DATABASE IDENTIFICATION

From: Tobias Svennebring <d92-tsv_at_nada.kth.se>
Date: 1996/11/26

Hi

I wonder if someone could tell me special signs that makes it possible to decide
* what kind of database that is running on a certain server,

  • if there is an database there at all
  • and what version it is?

The signs could decide it definitely or just be a hint of what it might be. Examples of areas that I can come up with that might be good places to find signs in are:
ports - if usually special ports are used for certain databases users - if certain users usually are used for certain databases, such as the "oracle"-user for oracle, which might be reached with finger. groups - (as with users).
??
anything ... ODBC stuff, sniffed traffic ??? ??
Especially I'm intressted i Informix and Oracle signs, but everything is very welcome and appreciated.

If you know of intresting areas that might lead in the right direction, I'm eager to hear about that too.

Please answer to
d92-tsv_at_nada.kth.se

Thanks
Tobias Svennebring Received on Tue Nov 26 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message