Slow database performance... possible SQL*NET problem?

From: Phil M Badger <debswcat_at_pluto.njcc.com>
Date: 1996/11/23

Hi,

I'm posting this message to both the Oracle and HP-UX newsgroups in the hope that someone can assist with a problem we are experiencing with poor database performance.

The installation in question is SAP R/3 v3.0D, running on top of an Oracle 7.2.3 database and HP-UX 10.10 (all housed on a HP 3000 K410 system). I am in the process of setting up this system and one of the tasks required is a foreign language import and this is where I'm seeing the performance hit. I had to perform the same task on other systems of near identical configuration and the job ran for about 3 - 3.5 hours -- all it's doing is inserting records into a selection of tables. However, on the latest system, it's been running for about 24 hours already and is nowhere near completion. I can monitor the import through R/3 and the task is processing about 4 records per second -- on the previous installations, it went through about 150 recs/sec.

In monitoring the system whilst this job runs, I noted that I/O, CPU and memory activity were all low (CPU usage doesn't get much above 3%), but network activity was going crazy -- we're talking about 700+ packets in/out per second.

My guess as to what's causing the problem is SQL*NET, which seems to think that it's communicating with a remote database. However, I'm no DBA and I'm at a bit of a loss at what to do to modify this behaviour (SAP don't see fit to ship Oracle documentation with their product). Can anybody advise?

Just a little more background information -- the system is an NIS client (as was the other system on which the import ran smoothly) on the same segment as the master server. Also, output from the netstat command for the offending server shows about 20 active connections from hostname.tlisrv back to itself (hostname.socket #). More proof that SQL*NET's not set up correctly.

I would be grateful for any suggestions on what I need to do to remedy this matter.

Thanks,
Phil Badger
pbadger_at_cultorfs.com Received on Sat Nov 23 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message