Re: disk striping or explicit assignment?

From: Chris Dipple <chris_at_chin.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/11/22

In article <1996Nov16.032747.4834_at_sgcl1.unisg.ch>, David-Michael Lincke <dlincke_at_bandon.unisg.ch> writes
>We will be setting up an Oracle 7.3.2.2 server on a HP9000 K200
>(2 processor boards installed) running HP-UX 10.20 shortly.
>The machine will have all VXFS filesystems in a LVM configuration.
>The question now is if we should explicitly assign datafiles, redo logs and
>rollback segments to several different logical volumes each of them
>residing on a different physical volume or if we should just create one
>large logical volume striped across all available disks to hold the whole
>database.
>Any recommendations on which configuraztion to go with is appreciated.
>Transaction volume on the database will be rather low. Most activity will
>consist of queries.
>
>The database will be spread over 4 disk drives. If striping should be
>recommended over explicit assignment which strip size (8k or bigger) would
>be best?
>
>If the speedup achievable by explicit manual assignment of files to disks
>compared to a striped logical volume should be within 10-15 percent we'd
>take the striping approach due to the lower administrative overhead
>required.
>
>thanks,
>dave

I stripped a data tablespace over 8 disks (64k strips) (with rollback segs) and used another set of 8 disks for the other tablespaces in a little data warehouse (4 processor machine). The resulting database was well balanced and performed well. This was done because it was much easier to manage then Oracle stripping with datafiles.

--
Chris Dipple, Production DBA, Royal Bank of Scotland