disk striping or explicit assignment?

From: David-Michael Lincke <dlincke_at_bandon.unisg.ch>
Date: 1996/11/16

We will be setting up an Oracle 7.3.2.2 server on a HP9000 K200 (2 processor boards installed) running HP-UX 10.20 shortly. The machine will have all VXFS filesystems in a LVM configuration. The question now is if we should explicitly assign datafiles, redo logs and rollback segments to several different logical volumes each of them residing on a different physical volume or if we should just create one large logical volume striped across all available disks to hold the whole database.
Any recommendations on which configuraztion to go with is appreciated. Transaction volume on the database will be rather low. Most activity will consist of queries.

The database will be spread over 4 disk drives. If striping should be recommended over explicit assignment which strip size (8k or bigger) would be best?

If the speedup achievable by explicit manual assignment of files to disks compared to a striped logical volume should be within 10-15 percent we'd take the striping approach due to the lower administrative overhead required.

thanks,
dave

--
David-Michael Lincke