Re: Why assign a size to a tablespace ?

From: Don Granaman <granaman_at_mail.phonet.com>
Date: 1996/11/20

In article <aak2.848302317_at_Isis.MsState.Edu>,

   aak2_at_Ra.MsState.Edu (Atif Ahmad Khan) wrote:

>I am just wondering why does oracle require that you assign
>a size to table/tablespace ? When you do it immediately
>takes up that much disk space. Why can't it be dynamic ?
>
>I would like to avoid having to assign a fixed size to anything,
>since I dont want to worry about changing these things all the
>time. I'd rather be worrying about other things.
>
>Currently I have an error that I think is a space related
>problem too, as I am trying to insert some data into a table
>and this error isn't letting me do it :
>
>-------------
>insert into testdb
> *
>ERROR at line 1:
>ORA-01652: unable to extend temp segment by 315 in tablespace SYSTEM
>
>So I do I just need to add space to tablespace SYSTEM ?

(Poster name deleted to protect the guilty!)

No! You need to create (at least) one other tablespace! Then you won't clobber SYSTEM and cripple your database!

As to why it isn't "dynamic"...

  I don't want our 2 gigabyte to 1.2 terrabyte databases to go through the overhead of allocating and deallocating disk space hundreds of times a second as records are deleted and added! I really hope this isn't any kind of *REAL* system you are dealing with! Received on Wed Nov 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message