Re: Why assign a size to a tablespace ?

From: Theresa Stacy <theresa.a.stacy_at_boeing.com>
Date: 1996/11/20

Atif Ahmad Khan wrote:

> I am just wondering why does oracle require that you assign
> a size to table/tablespace ? When you do it immediately
> takes up that much disk space. Why can't it be dynamic ?
>
> I would like to avoid having to assign a fixed size to anything,
> since I dont want to worry about changing these things all the
> time. I'd rather be worrying about other things.
>
> Currently I have an error that I think is a space related
> problem too, as I am trying to insert some data into a table
> and this error isn't letting me do it :
>
> -------------
> insert into testdb
> *
> ERROR at line 1:
> ORA-01652: unable to extend temp segment by 315 in tablespace SYSTEM
> -------------
>
> So I do I just need to add space to tablespace SYSTEM ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Atif Khan
> aak2_at_ra.msstate.edu

I have been told that you should never create user tables in the SYSTEM tablespace. You should create a second tablespace that is to be used for creating tables. As others have already said, you can simply add another datafile to any tablespace to extend the size.

I also use scripts similar to the ones posted here to monitor free space in tablespaces. I also have one to report on the number on extents that objects in my tablespaces have allocated.

Theresa Stacy
The Boeing Company
Boeing Defense & Space Group Received on Wed Nov 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message