SQL Server 6.5 to Oracle ODBC Replication

From: Rich Holoch <holoch_at_ccnet.com>
Date: 1996/11/04

I've got to replicate from SQL Server 6.5 to Oracle, and it works just long enough to add table entries to Oracle's data dictionary (the table shows up in all_tables), and it does allocate a block for wach table. But when I actually try to query the replicated table, I get the Oracle ORA-942, "table or view does not exist".

I checked the error log in SQL Server and found a couple of Oracle networking errors (12571 and 12564, returned by the ODBC drivers). Here's Oracle's explanation:

12571, 00000, "TNS:packet writer failure"
// *Cause: An error occurred during a data send.
// *Action: Not normally visible to the user. For further details, turn
// on tracing and reexecute the operation. If error persists, contact
// Worldwide Customer Support.

and:

12564, 00000, "TNS:connection refused"
// *Cause: The connect request was denied by the remote user (or TNS
software).
// *Action: Not normally visible to the user. For further details, turn
on
// tracing and reexecute the operation.

I thought it was a permissions problem at first, but why would Oracle go to the step of allocating a block for the replicated table(s), including
the MSlast_job_info table and update the data dictionary and then blow up when
trying to complete the data dictionary update and finally insert the actual data.
Sounds like some kind of weird ODBC or Microsoft replication problem. I'll
post to the comp.databases.s-sqlserver group too.

Rich

holoch_at_ccnet.com Received on Mon Nov 04 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message