Re: How to Start Oralce

From: Lun Wing San (Oracle) <"Lun>
Date: 1996/11/03

superstar_at_hknet.com wrote:

> I'm a new user of Oracle and I've just installed Oracle Server 7.3.2.1.
> The installation guide contains procedures for installation but I cannot
> find any info about starting a DB instance. Can anyone tell me any
> commands/scripts to start an instance ?

There are three scenarios:

  1. If you want to start the instance without mounting the database, type

   startup nomount

2. If you want to start the instance and mount but not open the database, type

   startup mount

3. If you want to start the instance and open the database, type

   startup open database_name pfile=parameter_file exclusive

Alternatively, one state can transit to another by using the alter database command:

   startup nomount

         | alter database mount

   (the database will be mounted which is equivalent to use startup mount)

         | alter database open

   (the database will be opened which is equivalent to use startup open database_name)

   Related Topics: Administrator, SGA, User Management

--
Name        : Lun Wing San
Title       : Senior Consultant of Lun's Oracle Solution Company