Re: SQL trace

From: Thomas J. Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/10/31

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996 10:39:54 -0500, Gene Gurevich <geneg_at_umich.edu> wrote:

>Somebody here posted recently about turning the SQL trace on in order
>to get information about how much are indexes being used.
>
>Does anyone have any experience doing it? How much overhead does a trace
>add? Is a report file easy to read? Is there any book/manual I can read?

The overhead is large for sql_trace. The overhead for timed_statistics (which you will want to enable as well) is small. The sql_trace overhead is large cause of the fileio generated creating these large trace files.

The reports are very easy to read in my opinion.

The application developers guide and/or tuning guide have all the info about SQL_TRACE and TKPROF.

>TIA

>* *
>* In case of nuclear war, ignore this message *
>* *

Thomas Kyte
Oracle Government
tkyte_at_us.oracle.com

http://govt.us.oracle.com

  • Check out Oracle Governments web site! ----- Follow the link to "Tech Center" and then downloadable Utilities for some free software...

statements and opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle Corporation Received on Thu Oct 31 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message