Re: Can Forms3.0 work on Windows95?

From: Keith Ioan Matthews <keithm_at_sweeney.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/10/26

In article <541mei$mck_at_sjx-ixn4.ix.netcom.com> curtm_at_ix.netcom.com writes:

> In article <326411FC.2B9A_at_hk.super.net>, Michael Ho <infoage_at_hk.super.net>
> wrote:
> >William Chen wrote:
> >
> >> Sorry if this is a FAQ. I really need to know the answers.
> >> Can the old SQL Forms 3.0 applications run on Windows 95 environment?> >> If the answer is "NO", any solution for that? I mean any patches or
> >> methods to
> >> port these old applications to form 4.X that it can run on Windows 95.
> >>

> >The answer is YES. You can convert the 3.0 form to 4.5 with Developer 2000.
> >However, you have to test the program thoroughly before making the change.
> >Because,
> >
> >1. Such a larger version difference has no ganentee to work properly.
> >2. Oracle is buggy. if not much people convert 3.0 to 4.5, the bug may hide
> > forever.
> >3. Porting the character base form to GUI environment could cause funny output.> >
> >The better way to find out the answer is DO IT.
> >
> >Good Luck
>
> Yes forms 3.0 can run on Windows95. Forms 3.0 - a DOS application, which
> requires Protected mode services will not run under a windows 95 dos box,
> because you cannot load SQLPME. However there was for a short time,
> a windows(3.1) version of forms 3.0. Oracle no longer supports/sells/ships
> forms 3.0 for windows, but I have an old copy that works just fine under
> Win 95. I was not able to get character based forms 3.0 convert to 4.5.

I suspect the real problem area is not -running- the forms, which seems to work quite well in DOS boxes, but running forms designer. Runform works fine in ext extended mode Win 3.1, but SQL*Forms usually causes the PC to reboot unless standard mode Win is used.

F4.0 has a converter that works reasonably, but careful retest is required and to be safe one must set the mouse navigation to prevent the mouse being used to move from one field to another. Failure to do so prevents most Forms 3 triggers from ever firing.

--
Keith Ioan Matthews