Forms 4.5 question, item Updateable property

From: Sadru Fidai <sfidai_at_castle.net>
Date: 1996/10/22

Hi,

I have come across a situation where forms 4.5 behaves differently from its 3.0 counterpart.

Consider a block with no base table. I would like, based on certain conditions, to allow or disallow entry into the items belonging to this block. In FORMS 3.0 item level UPDATEABLE property would do the trick. (We would set UPDATEABLE on CURSOR-ITEM to FALSE on WHEN-NEW-ITEM-INSTANCE trigger and set it back to TRUE on POST-TEXT-ITEM trigger.) When you set UPDATEABLE to FALSE, the cursor visits each item but won't let you type anything.

In FORMS 4.5, setting UPDATEABLE property to FALSE have no effect. It works great when used on a block with associated base table. Oracle customer support analyst contacted their development group. They do not consider this a bug. They argue that UPDATEABLE property is associated with the database and is ignored for the blocks with no base table. At the same time they failed to provide me with alternative method to handle this condition. He suggested to use PRE-TEXT-ITEM, POST-TEXT-ITEM, WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM triggers for each item in the block, saving in pre- trigger and if the value changes, giving message on posttrigger  and restoring the value. I think the updateable property method is a cleanest way.

Does anybody have a better method or opinion on this?

Sadru Fidai Received on Tue Oct 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message