Re: Help! Very bad SQL bug in 7.2.3.0.0

From: varad acharya <vacharya.ford_at_e-mail.com>
Date: 1996/10/15

Tom Fielden wrote:

> Recipe for bad results:
>
> Join several tables sequentially like so: a-b-c-d-e
> Put a simple on 'e'.
> Observe that the query runs fast.
> Now put a simple condition on 'a'
> observe that the query is 100 times slower! Sheesh!

What mode of the optimizer have you selected ?. If you are running the cost based optimizer make sure that all tables referenced in the query have been analyzed.

Run explain plan on both queries to find out what execution plan ORACLE generates in each case.

What happens if when a condition on 'a' is specified you change the order of the tables specified in the 'from' part of your query. eg. b,c,d,e,a

--

Regards,

Varad Acharya

 The above statements and opinions are my own and do not
 necessarily represent those of Ford Motor Company.