Re: SQL*Net for Linux?

From: David Mansfield <david_at_cobite.com>
Date: 1996/10/13

I have successfully compiled an OCI program , written in C++ to connect to an external Oracle7 server. This was a MAJOR pain, but worth it in the long run. You're going to need a lot of patience and a lot of other (all free) software.

The first thing to note is that you're going to need the SCO release of Oracle7 server which you can get on a trial basis for free from Oracle's web site (www.oracle.com I think).

To run this, you are going to need to get and install the iBCS modules which will you allow you to execute SCO binaries. By "SCO binaries" I mean binaries that are COFF format (not aout or ELF which are natively supported by Linux). If for some reason you don't want to end up with your program being COFF stop here!! You can't get the OCI libs for native Linux.

After you get this stuff, you'll need to find the gcc distribution for SCO that's floating around. It's pre-compiled and comes with the glibc-1.09 (COFF format) and libstdc++ and all that great stuff. Now you can write and compile (with gcc-sco) COFF programs, and link them with the libraries on the Oracle trial CD.

NOTE: It is also possible (and very rewarding) to install the Oracle7 server and run it under linux. It works in EVERY way that I know of so far (its version 7.1.something). In order to install Oracle from their distribution you will have to make your linux installation look a lot like SCO. This means a lot of little details which I can provide if you want 'em.

David Mansfield
david_at_cobite.com Received on Sun Oct 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message