Re: SQL*Net for Linux?

From: Brian Rogers <brogers_at_integctr.com>
Date: 1996/10/10

Luis de Diego wrote:

> Does anybody know from a Oracle SQL*Net version that runs on a
> Pentium processor machine having a Linux OS?

It seems that Oracle has not yet made SQL*Net available for Linux. I don't know that they ever plan to.

> Is there any other way to connect to an Oracle Server that
> going over Oracle SQL*Net?. I mean a freeware solution.

I and others are trying to figure out how to get Linux and other unsupported OS's to connect. An ODBC proxy (gateway) is a nice generic solution. There are commercial ODBC or JDBC gateways. OpenLink Software even sells a Linux client driver for their gateway. I have not found any freeware gateways and would like to write or help write one but have little time, so I'm asking for help. (RPC seems perfect for this.)

If anyone reading this knows of a freeware ODBC gateway, has the expertise to write one, or knows someone who does, please help.

URL's of companies that make commercial database gateways:

	Intersolv   http://www.intersolv.com/
	OpenLink    http://www.openlinksw.com/
	Symantec    http://www.symantec.com/
	WebLogic    http://www.weblogic.com/

P.S.: If you work for a company that makes a commercial database product (especially on ODBC gateway), please support Linux or try to convince your boss(es) to.

--
/* Brian Rogers - tech admin, coffee achiever - brogers_at_integctr.com  */
/* The Integrity Center   -   "objective risk management information" */