Re: Size of an ORACLE Database over 100 Gb

From: Adil Khan <akhan_at_hencie.com>
Date: 1996/10/10

Vincent Vermot des roches wrote:

> We can solve your problem immediatly
> with an Oracle scertified solution
> Please caontact MTI :
> WWW/mti.com
> or by phone : 717 970 0300
> or in France : mti-sales_at_sales.fr
>
> Alain BORGO <Alain.Borgo_at_ratp.fr> wrote:
>
> >We have a new application that use ORACLE 7. The total size of the database is about 250 Gb.
> >We certainly put all the files on 60 disks of 4 Gb each (perhaps we will use the RAID 5 technology).

> >The problem is to manage this very big database : particulary we fear for the administration of the data.
> >Another diffuclty is the time to save these 250 Gb.

> >We're wondering if someone had already manage such a big database or a so big volume of data.

> >Anyone with some experience with that sort of problem will be welcome.

> >Alain BORGO.

We have just finished a 1000GB VLDB OLTP project using RAID 0+1 on 1400 4BM raw fast/wide SCSII drives, RDBMS 7.2.

Consider the following:

1. Partioning Large Tables > 10GB
2. Oracle Paralled Server
3. RAW Devices
4. Automated Backup/Recovery (e.g. Legato, Cobra, SQL-backtrack)
5. RDBMS 7.3.2
6. Small PCTFREE where possible.
7. SQL-Loader
8. VLDB space management white papers by C Milsap.