Re: what is the advantage of oracle over access

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_tibalt.supernet.ab.ca>
Date: 1996/10/09

Gary Assa wrote:

> >My group and I are looking for information on the advantages of oracle over
> >access. General observations, personal experience, or even reference on
> >where to find more info would be greatly appreciated.
> >

> Number 1 reason: Oracle is a good program and access is a piece of
> crap Microsoft product.
> --
> http://www.li.net/~gsa/index.html
> This is my signature file, not part of this mail message.

That's an opinion ... just as this is: Access was designed to get market share from other PC oriented databases.

Advantages of Oracle:

  1. Multi-platform
  2. Industrial strength
  3. Longevity (since early '80s)
  4. Flexible (new features being promised all the time)
  5. Handles large volumes
  6. Relatively close to ANSI SQL (this will be debated, I'm sure)
  7. Identical on all platforms (test on PC, migrate to mainframe)
  8. Lots of 'knowledgable' programmers
  9. Front-end tools are separate
  10. Very robust

Disadvantages of Oracle:

  1. Requires a DBA
  2. Cost
  3. Support (not IMHO, but frequently mentioned in newsgroup)
  4. Front-end tools are separate

Advantages of Access:

  1. Microsoft's name
  2. Tuned for MS operating systems
  3. Useful non-SQL Extensions
  4. Ground-up OLE support (latest versions)
  5. No DBA required (unfortunately translated to often as no maintenance required)
  6. Built in front-end tools

Disadvantages of Access:

  1. Microsoft's name
  2. Tuned for MS operating systems
  3. Useful non-SQL Extensions
  4. PC oriented - relatively small scale
  5. Part of a family of products rather than a scaling of a single product.

Both products have their place. Personally I lean toward Oracle for all but the smallest DBs. However, I come from an environment where I appreciate real (local) support & operations staff to CMA in terms of keeping the OS and RDBMS healthy.

If the DB is planned to grow past 50M or 100 tables or 10 users, I definitely go Oracle because of past experiences. Because of that I admit to no knowledge on Access to WIN95 or WinNT.

/Hans Received on Wed Oct 09 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message