Re: PL/SQL v. OraPerl.

From: <Steve_Kilbane_at_cegelecproj.co.uk>
Date: 1996/10/08

[ copy mailed ]

Shawn Casey (casey_at_wharton.upenn.edu) apparently wrote:
: I am not sure about developing some of the more restrictive user
: queries and programs with PL/SQL and OraPerl. I will imagine that
: PL/SQL is probably more powerful than Perl but perl is relatively
: portable and non-proprietary.

It depends on what your priorities are. I use both. PL/SQL gives much better performance, because it's stored internally to the database - oraperl can call stored procedures, but can't retrieve the results directly. On the other hand, the version of WebServer I'm using at the moment can't handle things such as ISINDEX query strings, URLs of a different form from the service/owa/proc model, or multipart MIME HTTP requests, which are essential if you want to upload files in your model.

steve Received on Tue Oct 08 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message