Re: PL/SQL v. OraPerl.

From: Christian Mondrup <scancm_at_biobase.dk>
Date: 1996/10/08

Shawn Casey (casey_at_wharton.upenn.edu) wrote:
: Hi,

: I am at the definition phase of a relatively large database project that
: will require integrating an Oracle database (running on a Sun) and
: the Web (or a web server). Most likely, all of the clients will be
: Web based, but some of the administrative interfaces will be created
: with a simple front-end, that is designed on a tool like Access.

: I am not sure about developing some of the more restrictive user
: queries and programs with PL/SQL and OraPerl. I will imagine that
: PL/SQL is probably more powerful than Perl but perl is relatively
: portable and non-proprietary.

I have no experience with the integration of Oracle and web. But I have been using OraPerl quite a lot in the last years. I often prefer to use OraPerl to perform a query if it requires branching beyond the capabilities of pure sql AND also involves reporting the query result to a file. At least with PL/SQL for Oracle 6 you have to spool your output to a temporary table and then select from the this table after the PL/SQL job is finished.

It is very easy to controll the output format of your query with OraPerl whereas you have to use a lot of formatting functions with PL/SQL.

: I am curious if anyone has faced the same question, or if anyone can
: share some of their eperiences with both tools.

: Oh yeah, I will probably be using Netscape Enterpriser Server for the
: HTTP server.

: Any information would be helpful, or a pointer to a more appropriate
: group.

: thanks in advance

: Shawn Casey
: Wharton Computing, University of Pennsylvania

+   Christian Mondrup                                                      +
+   Scandiatransplant, Skejby Hospital, University Hospital of Aarhus      +
+   Brendstrupgaardsvej                                                    +
+   DK 8200 Aarhus N                                                       +
+   Denmark                                                                +
+   Phone:   +49 89 49 53 01                                               +
+   Telefax: +45 89 49 60 07                                               +
+   E-Mail:  scancm_at_biobase.dk                                             +