Re: What is maximum size of an Oracle data base?

From: Bill Beaton <beatonb_at_cadvision.com>
Date: 1996/10/05

In article <MPG.cc00a56474cd5f6989683_at_news.mo.net>,

        bwit_at_pobox.net (Bob Withers) writes:
>Can anyone tell me what the maximum size of a single Oracle data base is?
>I heard once that it was 250MB but then I hear people talk about multi-
>gig data bases. Is that a single data base or multiple linked data
>bases? I sure appreciate it is someone could clear this

The answer is hardware architecture and ORACLE Version level dependent ...

  1. If you're using 64 bit ORACLE (DEC Alpha servers), I don't know what the piece limits are, but certainly the DB can be well in excess of $ terabytes at a bare minimum.
  2. The general answer depends on several factors ...
  3. The maximum number of data files allowed by ORACLE 62 in ORACLE 6, 1022 in ORACLE 7
  4. The maximum file size ... 2GB on most 32 bit architectures

In other words, ignoring block sizes and max extents, which also can put limits on how much of a tablespace can be utilized (depending on the row sizes of the tables in the actual tables/tablespaces), an ORACLE 6 DB cannot exceed 124GB in a single instance. By the same max.data.file.size * max data files, ORACLE 7 non-VLM can't exceed 2.4 terabytes per instance.

Obviously, multiple instances, and database links can be used to exceed the limits, but require more design work. A bigger problem in this case is getting the individual tables properly into the tablespaces and instances, so that software will work appropriately.

Bill      Received on Sat Oct 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message