Re: [Q] Pro*C-programs spawn defunct child processes

From: Donne You <dy_at_gomez.physics.lsa.umich.edu>
Date: 1996/10/02

In article <32515EC2.19B2_at_sectra.se> to-kro_at_sectra.se writes:
>Hi,
>
>we have trouble with different Pro*C programs which all of a sudden -
>after some minutes
>or hours - start spawning defunct child processes until the work station
>is blocked with
>"No more processes". All this on HP-UX 10.1, Oracle 7.1, SQL*Net 2.
>
>The problem is getting worse and worse (happens more and more often), so
>I wonder if we
>have some resource problem.
>
>Any suggestions on what can cause this?
>Please reply by e-mail, it's faster.
>
>--
>Almut Herzog
>SECTRA-Imtec AB e-mail: al-her_at_sectra.se
>Teknikringen 2 voice: ++46 13 235221
>583 30 Linkoping fax: ++46 13 212185
>SWEDEN
this has happened to me. but we use SUN Solaris. whenever our database or SQLNET is down and the proc program tries to connect to Oracle, it creates a defunct process. this is a bug in the proc library we were using (I think it was 2.1.x). in our case, recompiling the program using proc 2.0.x is the fix. Oracle claims they fixed the bug in Oracle 7.3

Don Received on Wed Oct 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message