Re: SQL Theory/performance

From: John Parrott <spo_at_interlog.com>
Date: 1996/09/27

Paul Tuckfield wrote:

> In article <3248C8E3.D36_at_interlog.com>, spo_at_interlog.com says...
> > I want to setup an application which has all the businesss rules in
> > triggers and stored functions. However, when it comes to data entry,
> > the only way to enforce intra record updates (Field1 changing Fields2
> > and 3, etc) this way is to post and recall the updated record for each
> > field as the user types. Is this an issue?
> Not sure what you mean here, but maybe this means your data is not
> normalized. I understand that that it may be necessary though, so don't
> get excited if that is the case, I'm not criticizing.

I have a record where the values of fields in the records depend on other fields in the same record.

Eg. (Price * Quantity) + Tax = Ammount

If I have a table with all four fields, changing any one would mean the others have to change. I can do this in an update statement but if I were to have a datagrid on these four fields, in order to get the trigger to update all other fields I would have to post the record then call it back with the new values because delphi would not automatically reflect the changes in the database.

--
John Parrott
Elysium Financial Systems