SQL Theory/performance

From: John Parrott <spo_at_interlog.com>
Date: 1996/09/25

What is the average response time of returning one record from an Oracle server searching on a primary key with a large table? Does anyone have any stats on this? Is it noticable?

I want to setup an application which has all the businesss rules in triggers and stored functions. However, when it comes to data entry, the only way to enforce intra record updates (Field1 changing Fields2 and 3, etc) this way is to post and recall the updated record for each field as the user types. Is this an issue?

Regarding Delphi, I've heard a lot about using TQuery over TTable for C/S apps but the idea of inserting record then having to close that query and go back to find the new one scares the crap out of me.

Does anyone have any real world experience doing this with a large database? Is TTable doing the same thing only behind the scenes or does it maintain a cursor into the table which it can easily search on.

Help is urgently needed. Thanks.

--
John Parrott
Elysium Financial Systems