Re: Configuring Oracle TNS Stuff & perl

From: Pope Sizzling Palm Hook <segment_at_clark.net>
Date: 1996/09/27

Kennon L. Whitehead (kennon_at_mail.pernet.com) wrote:
: On a Unix installation it is a file named "tnsnames.ora" in a directory
: under the Oracle Home directory called "/network/admin". On a Windows PC
: it will be in the same subdirectory under "orawin" or "orawin95". A few
: Unix installations may put a copy in the /etc directory. All this assumes
: the sqlnet version 2 drivers have been loaded since the TNS messages refer
: to these drivers. Unfortunately, the ORA-12154 error is one of those that
: inform you that it didn't work and that about it.

You can use the Oracle Network Manager program (runs on PCs only I think) to build those files for deployment over your whole network. Basically, you describe what machines you have and where they are and what services they have and Network Manager builds tnsnames.ora files for all the clients and servers. I've only found it on the Oracle Products for Windows CD (not on the products for win95 CD!!!).

-Tom